Trek Nepal 2019

In 2018, Computershare employees from the UK and Europe raised over $300,000 by trekking in Nepal to raise money for the construction of a boarding home, allowing year 11 and 12 students to live on campus and attend the World Youth International (WYI) school. With your support, in 2019 a team of Computershare employees from Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong will aim to raise over $150,000 to complete the boarding home and fund the installation of solar panels at the school.

The trek will be held in November 2019, and offers panoramic views of the stunning Annapurna Himalayan range while passing through beautiful forests. After completing the trek, the team will spend a day at the WYI school to meet with the students and see the progress made with the boarding home so far.

You can donate to the entire team via this page or search for an individual trekker.

The World Youth International School, Nepal

The WYI School was opened on September 14 1999, with the purpose to train local teachers and provide a rich, dynamic education for its students. Situated in the Gokarna region, the school provides children from low socio economic backgrounds with quality education.

The World Youth International School was built in the memory of WYI founder, Robert Hoey. Nepal was chosen because at the time, it had the third lowest literacy rate in the world. Approximately 87% of women and 70% of men were illiterate.

The school now caters for students up to year 10 and currently has over 500 students attending the school. The current average grade pass is 96% making it one of the top-rated schools in Nepal. With support from Computershare and Change A Life, the School is currently being extended to include schooling for year 11 and 12 students.

Nepal

Though most visitors come to Nepal to experience the majestic Himalayas, these people tend to see only the small areas that receive considerable economic benefits from tourism. One simply needs to step behind the backdrop of the beautiful mountain scenery and into the remote regions of Nepal to learn that much of the population lives in poverty. In spite of substantial external development assistance, Nepal remains one of the least developed countries in the world. High disease prevalence, low adult literacy rates, natural disasters, food security and availability problems and high rates of child malnutrition are just a few of the challenges the Nepali people face on a daily basis.

Change a Life

Globally, Computershare is dedicated to supporting initiatives which help alleviate poverty through their community giving scheme, Change A Life. This important and long-running programme has a focus on sustainability by investing 80% of donations in global projects that provide long-term solutions to the communities our employees vote to work with, which includes the WYI School in Nepal. The remaining 20% of donations go to local projects via established charities, chosen by our local employees. Computershare matches all employee payroll donations.

Since launching in 2005, Change A Life has raised more than $8.4 million for over 17 projects in 12 different countries.

Have a question?   (08) 8340 1266

By continuing to use our website, you consent to use essential cookies that provide secure services such as the checkout, account authentication and all online forms. We also use optional tracking cookies which help us gather statistics to improve our services. Do you consent to these cookies?

I Consent Do not track